Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Express Glasses

Sometimes, I'll wear eye glasses despite my 20/20 vision. There's a reason for this. I cannot maintain eye contact without a barrier between my gaze and whomever meets it with his or her own. At times, it physically hurts me to maintain such communication. That's what eye contact is, standard communication. When I wear my glasses, reality is filtered through their lenses, like a broadcast transmitted by a television screen, and believe me; I can watch t.v. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Once I'm able to maintain eye contact with someone, I lose track of what is being discussed because I cannot decipher mood and nonverbal language while simultaneously following the conversation, which, like all convos I have ever had, easily trails off into a minute-long dud. I suffer from inattentive-ADHD and NLVD, non-verbal learning disorder, which is on the autism spectrum. This blog will be about how I deal with these issues because they have gone undiagnosed throughout my entire life... until now, I thought I was normal, or, how I saw the world, perceived it, interacted with it, is how everyone else did also.

But, somewhere, deep inside my subconscious mind, I must have known something wasn't right, so I went to the mall and bought a pair of glasses that help me see a little clearer; and since then my life has not been the same.

5 comments:

  1. I like how personal your blog gets; I've never heard of NVLD, it'll be interesting to learn about through your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of NLVD (non-verbal learning disorder), how did your doctor discover that you had NLVD? What signs should people look out for to pinpoint the disorder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard about NVLD, either. I'm curious about it though, and I think a lot of readers would be interested in a post about it. Also, has your life been easier since you've been diagnosed?

    While you may not need glasses for your vision - it seems like they still help you out! Not to mention they've become quite a trend as of late! :)

    One suggestion: I like your layout, but I have a difficult time reading the text because (I have to highlight or squint to read it). I think maybe if you make it lighter grey or white it might help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the layout tip. It's basically Asperger's to a degree along with the following: I cannot understand nonverbal communication or social cues. I am incredibly forgetful, and I have visual-spatial deficiencies and discalcula(sp?) which is akin to math-dyslexia. It's really no big thing to me, I just got the diagnosis at the beginning of the semester, so as I've adjusted, I've been able to improve in the areas of my life that I never knew I had to improve upon. I'm gaining awareness and thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete